Espiga Black IPA 11 oz bottleSpana Life Co.
(Spanish for the head of the grain.)
Used as the company logo.
Artisan craft beers from Catalonia Spain.
After working in Germany and Denmark, two beer loving chemists came together to create the finest “live” unpasteurized craft beers they could. Using their love and passion for beer, applied knowledge of chemistry and beer crafting along with the world’s finest ingredients, Teresa Galvan and Arnau Rovera of Espiga make incredibly good and original beers, each one with its own character. They have established themselves in Spain as a force of porter, a lager lord and a master of malt! Espiga should have a crown on their beer’s head.
Nulla vita sine cerevisia!
(No life without beer!)
We really love this beer. It has it all: Flavor from start to finish, aroma, and what a beautiful drink. Have fun with this one and pair it with chocolate and mint! This is the result of combining a strong 8.5% toasted black beer with a variety of American hops (Cascade, Simcoe and Amarillo) producing 78 IBU (international bittering units).
The Espiga Black IPA is very dark brown to black in color, with a creamy, lasting, light-brown head. The aroma is striking for its resinous, herbaceous and citric notes produced by the different hops, together with undertones of toasted malt and chocolate. Heavy, full-bodied and lasting in the mouth. Silky yet incisive. An aftertaste of toasted malt together with herbs and coffee offer a pleasant bitter finish. Very well integrated alcohol.
Game, spicy tuna tartare, blue cheese, mature goat’s cheese, vanilla and coffee ice-cream dessert, chocolate and mint cake.
- 2014 GLOBAL CRAFT BREWER AWARD SILVER MEDAL
- 2015 GLOBAL CRAFT BREWER AWARD SILVER MEDAL
Style: Black India Pale Ale
Serve in: Tulip, Shaker
IBU:78 (medium high bitterness)
Tips: Pour a tall head
- Pale Ale (England) Fully modified two-row Harrington barley. It imparts a complex malty flavor with notes of bread, dried fruits, and honey.
- Carafa (Germany) A light-roasted specialty malt made from high-quality spring barley. It's carefully roasted to add an espresso-like bouquet, coffee and chocolate flavors, and a mild but noticeable roasted aftertaste.
- Munich (Germany) A kilned lager-style malt made from quality, two-row, German spring barley. It produces robust malt characteristics, including full body, amber color, and smooth mouthfeel.
- Amarillo (America) Distinct flowery, spicy, tropical; citrus-like with qualities of orange and lemon, like Cascade but much stronger.
- Simcoe (America) It is described as being both fruity and earthy. It can carry notes of berry, apricot, passion fruit, and citrus, but also has pronounced aromas of pine and woodsy earth. Flavor and aroma is quite complex and unique.
- Cascade (America) Unique floral, spice, and citrus qualities, with the citrus elements often running toward a strong grapefruit character. Moderate bitterness.
Big (8.5%) and delightful coffee and malt bomb yet not heavy. Almost a porter.
Try it with chocolate and mint ice-cream. Delicious!
91 points on Ratebeer.com
A true artisan Beer.
Note: All purchases of alcoholic beverages must be made by persons over the age of 21.